USPS HQ coming after our jobs!
Mail Handler’s Bid Jobs are under attack!
The managers at the USPS are at it again. The misguided and non informed managers have decided that they should disrupt the craft job bids once again. Click here for, Local President letter to membership
On the Jersey Side! Congressman Josh Gottenheimer takes time to meet with National President Paul Hogrogian and Local 300 President Kevin Tabarus.
Congressman Gottenheimer represents the Northern New Jersey-Bergen County constituents. He is a champion of labor and the Unions. He gets it! Local 300 and its members appreciate having the Congressman in our corner looking out for the working class.
NY State Congressman, Tom Souzzi, of the 3rd District North Shore Long Island takes time from his busy schedule to discuss labor matters with Local 300 President, Kevin Tabarus. Congressman Souzzi is a great friend of labor and Unions. Local 300 is proud to know him and our members know we have a man in our corner sympathetic to the working person’s needs and goals.
Buyers Edge Program saves our members big time!
Local 300 Sponsors a day at Yankee Stadium to host the Boston Red Sox!
2016 National Agreement Retro Adjustment
We have been getting many questions lately from members regarding how and when the retroactive salary adjustments will be calculated.
The 2011-2016 National Agreement needs to be discussed first. The term of the 2011 contract was from 11/21/11 to 5/20/16. Historically, contract terms had been in November. The intent of having a longer term for the 2011 contract was to guarantee an additional COLA. There were three (3) General Wage Increases (GWI) in the 2011 contract which increased the base salary of all Mail Handlers. Each of these GWIs were paid in November. The last of which was paid in November of 2015.
The new 2016-2019 National Agreement also had an different term. The term of the 2016 contract was from 5/21/16 to 9/20/19.
- Retro Adjustments – 2016 Contract
- General Wage Increase (GWI) to base salary effective 11/26/16. Many are of the misconception that this increase should have been effective in May. This incorrect. As you can see from above, General Wage Increases have historically been effective annually in November. Basically, one GWI per 12 months.
- COLA Effective September 3, 2016 = $21 to base salary for career Mail Handlers.
- Retro Adjustments
- Prior to the ratification of the 2016 Contract
- Level 4, Top Step FTRs & PTRs were earning $27.03 an hour
- MHAs were earning $14.71
- Wage increases from 2016 Contract
- Level 4, Top Step FTRs & PTRs were earning $27.36 an hour
- MHAs were earning $15.12
- Contract Wage increases (GWI PP25-16 11/26/16 & COLA PP19-16 9/3/16) were implimented in Pay Period 05-17 and reflected in paychecks dated 3/10/17.
- Adjustments needed
- COLA $21 to base salary, from 9/3/16 to 3/10/17
- General Wage Increase, from 11/26/16 to 3/10/17
- Adjustments needed
- The amounts for each Mail Handler will vary, depending on Overtime worked, LWOP, Sunday Premium, etc.
- RETROACTIVE SALARY ADJUSTMENTS
- In February of 2017, USPS HQ advised NPMHU HQ that these retroactive adjustments would be paid to Mail Handlers in Pay Period 10-17, in paychecks dated 5/19/17
- As of this writing, we have been advised that approximately 4,000 (approximately 9%) Mail Handlers nationwide will not receive their adjustment in Pay Period 10-17
- Coincidentally, the Retroactive adjustments were also not paid when the USPS projected with the last (2011) contract. This error entirely falls on the USPS. The NPMHU will work diligently to ensure that all members receive the retroactive adjustments in its entirety.
- IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ALL MAIL HANDLERS NOTIFY THE UNION IF THEY DO NOT RECEIVE THE RETROACTIVE SALARY ADJUSTMENT. THE NATIONAL NPMHU HAS REQUESTED NAMES AND EINs. LOCAL 300 will submit the listing of those not paid to the national NPMHU office.
- Paychecks for Pay Period 10-17 can be viewed now on LiteBlue http://liteblue.usps.gov/ “ePayroll”
- Contact Local 300 HQ should you have any questions 212-431-0040
- Prior to the ratification of the 2016 Contract
Local 300 Teterboro member’s daughter wins Bergen County Scholarship.
Local 300 announces annual Mets game.
USPS rolls out a Safety Time Out Program.
The USPS has begun a new program aimed at preventing loss time accidents and reducing the number of injuries sustained at work. This “time out” practice involves all employees from the work area.
New National Agreement
The general effective date for the 2016 National Agreement has been established as Saturday, March 4, 2017, except as may otherwise be provided by the terms of the National Agreement.
USPS OIG Report – High Turnover Rate of Non-Career Employees
Recently the Office of the Inspector General issued its report of the turnover rate of the new non career employees. The report clearly states that the cost of this high attrition rate is excessive and counterproductive. The OIG urges that managers implement a training program to work on retaining new employees. The chart below shows the annual turnover rate is over 42% when combined among all crafts, with carriers having the greatest rate of all. Click Here
Local 300 Celebrates Women in the Workforce
March of each year, Local 300 acknowledges the hard work and time consuming effort women have made over the years to the labor movement. Women have been “multi-tasking” long before the word became popular. Local 300 continues to applaud these women by sponsoring a commemorative button which has been delivered to all branches of the Local. We ask our members to proudly wear these buttons and join all of us in thanking these working women for their contributions.
Check out the latest issue of the Womens Caucus Newsletter here:WC Newsletter Mar 2017
Local 300 conducted a day of training and illumination regarding the details of the new ratified 2016 National Working Agreement. Attendees were: Kevin Tabarus, Dawn Licata, Frank Schultz, Howard Spindler, Yvette Johnson, Shawn Gordon, Ray Bermudez, Trevor Stuart, Jesse Lewis, Alex Frazier, Lucy Lombardo, Jim Perkins, Terry Flynn, Al Conyers, Michelle Sadler, Tommy Russo, Charlie Price, Irene Delgado, Westley Gasby, Wilfredo Delgado, Joe Palau, Shirley Ramos, Don Utz, Ron Sodaro, Mark Chandler, Tony York, Tracey Grooms, Stan Howard, Peter Bilotta, Andre Spence, Desiree White, and Tom Ruther.
Contract ratified by the rank and file!
The tentative agreement was ratified by an overwhelming majority of the membership. The contract will go into affect immediately. Retroactive payment details will be forthcoming. Click on the following link: Wage-Charts-FINAL-for-PP25-2016-GWI-for-Feb-Update-02092017-1
Local 300 Mail Handler News Mailed
Local 300′s Semi-Annual Newsletter is “in the mail”. The winter 2017 edition contains many articles and pictures of Local 300 activities within the past six months. The newsletter will strive to put forward information about past, current, and future Union work and events.
Watch your mail box and feel free to critique the new editor, (not to harshly), about the composition and material. Feedback is welcome. 2017 Winter Local 300 Newsletter
Tentative Agreement reached!
The NPMHU and the USPS have come to a tentative agreement.
The entire membership of the NPMHU will receive a ballot and have the opportunity to vote on the agreement. This tentative agreement will only become the contract if ratified by the membership.
NPMHU Constitutions are in.
This is the current versions as adopted by the delegates to the National Convention this past August in Chicago Ill. Click here to view: 2016 Constitutions Booklet w covers
Arthur Vallone National NPMHU Scholarship now available.
Click the link below to see and hear why it is Congress that created the financial burden on the US Postal Service.
Executive Board Meeting 10-21-2016
Labor Day Parade 2016 NYC
Local 300 once again participated in the annual Labor Day Parade celebrating the working class of this great country. Local 300 members, family, and friends joined with our brothers and sisters in other unions to walk in this great city and demonstrate the pride and unity in recognizing every single working class individual and their contribution. The day was fantastic!